Guidelines for the Use of Trademarks
LAC Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "LAC") has established the following Guidelines for the Use of Trademarks (hereinafter referred to as these "Guidelines") to ensure the proper use of the trademarks owned by LAC.
LAC's trademarks are important assets owned by LAC. In addition, in order for LAC's trademarks to function properly, and to maintain the trust of the public associated with LAC's trademarks in LAC and LAC's products and services, it is important that you properly use LAC's trademarks. Please comply with these Guidelines for proper use of LAC's trademarks.
If any agreement between LAC and a person or entity that uses LAC's trademark expressly provides for any content which contradicts these Guidelines, such provision of such agreement shall prevail. In addition, when using LAC's trademarks, please comply with the laws and regulations concerning trademarks and proprietary indications of the places where they are used and with any other applicable laws and regulations.
1. LAC Trademarks
"LAC Trademarks" mean any marks, whether or not registered, (a) that are used to indicate LAC or its goods or services and (b) (i) that consist of letters, figures, symbols, three-dimensional shapes or colors, or any combination thereof, or sounds, or (ii) that are otherwise protected as trademarks or similar proprietary indications under applicable laws. LAC Trademarks include, but are not limited to:
- the words "LAC" and "ラック"
- the company logo of "LAC"
- names and logos of LAC's goods and services, such as "JSOC" and "LAC Falcon"
2. Use of LAC Trademarks
(1) Use in Promotional Materials
In order to use LAC Trademarks on packaging, manuals, brochures, advertising or promotional materials of LAC's goods and services (hereinafter referred to as the "Services") or in any other media intended for the sale, use or promotion of the Services (including in an electronic form; hereinafter the same), you must obtain LAC's permission.
(2) Use for Referral Purposes
For uses in any media intended for the introduction, news reporting, review, etc. of LAC or the Services for any purpose other than those described in (1) above (for example, if you publicly announce on a website that you are using the Services), you may use LAC Trademarks on condition that such use complies with the matters described in these Guidelines.
3. Mode of Use of Trademark
(a) Unless otherwise provided in an agreement with LAC, LAC Trademarks may not be changed, modified, added, deleted or otherwise altered in any way.
(b) No LAC Trademark may be used in combination with (i) another LAC Trademark, (ii) a trademark other than LAC Trademarks, or (iii) letters, figures, symbols, etc. other than LAC Trademarks (this includes the case where such LAC Trademark is combined with hyphens, underscores, etc., and the case where such LAC Trademark and other elements are displayed close to each other to make them look like a single name, mark, logo, etc).
(c) LAC Trademarks may not be used in any of the following manners:
- use as a common noun or in any form similar thereto
- use as a verb or adjective
- use of the singular form of a trademark in the plural form or vice versa
- alteration of a trademark not in a possessive form into a possessive form
- omission of a part of the trademark
- changing uppercase letters to lowercase letters or vice versa
- changing the character type such as kanji, alphabet, hiragana and katakana to another character type
- changing the shape of the trademark such as its spacing, typeface, color, design, orientation, aspect ratio, arrangement and size of components. However, this does not include displaying a plain text trademark in the same font as the surrounding text.
(d) In addition, you are prohibited from being engaged in any of the following acts in relation to LAC Trademarks:
- using any LAC Trademark as the name, trademark, mark or logo of any third party other than LAC or its goods or services
- applying for or registering any LAC Trademark or a trademark similar thereto (this shall not apply to applications that are permitted under the Trademark Act, such as those in which designated goods and services are not identical or similar to those for the relevant LAC Trademark)
- using any LAC Trademark in a manner that may be misunderstood as indicating a third party other than LAC or its goods or services
- using any LAC Trademark in a manner that is likely to cause a misconception of the quality of the Services
- using any LAC Trademark in any manner that may lead people to mistakenly believe that there is any affiliation, sponsorship, or other relationship between LAC and a third party
- using any LAC Trademark in any manner that may lead people to mistakenly believe that LAC sells, develops, recommends, warrants, approves or sponsors any third party or its goods or services, or LAC is otherwise expressing any view thereon
- using any LAC Trademark in any media containing contents intended for adults, contents to encourage gambling, contents to recommend drugs, contents to recommend sale of tobacco or alcohol to minors, or contents violating laws or regulations
- using any LAC Trademark in any media containing disparaging, infringing, defamatory or obscene expressions
- using any LAC Trademark in a manner that violates laws and regulations or public policy
- using any LAC Trademark in a manner that unreasonably impairs the reputation, value or integrity of LAC, the Services or LAC Trademarks
- using any LAC Trademark for the purpose of disseminating false information regarding LAC, the Services or LAC Trademarks
- causing loss of the distinctiveness of LAC Trademarks or damaging the goodwill embodied in LAC Trademarks
(e) LAC may establish manuals concerning the use of all or part of LAC Trademarks separately from these Guidelines. If such manual is presented, the use of LAC Trademarks subject to such manual must be made as set forth in such manual.
4. Trademark Symbol
(1) General Rules Regarding Trademark Symbol
When using any LAC Trademark, in principle, the trademark symbol, ® or TM (as applicable) (hereinafter referred to as the "Trademark Symbol"), should be added regardless of the medium.
® is appended to a trademark registered with the patent office of the relevant country or any other competent government agency. TM is appended to an unregistered trademark. ® should not be added to trademarks other than registered trademarks. If you use any Trademark Symbol in any jurisdiction other than Japan for the purpose of referring to a trademark in any jurisdiction other than Japan, you must check if the trademark is registered in such jurisdiction, and use the Trademark Symbol in accordance with local laws and regulations. Inappropriate use of the trademark symbol for registered trademarks (®) may be subject to a criminal or administrative penalty. If you are not certain about the status of registration of the trademark, please contact LAC.
The Trademark Symbols should be marked superscript or subscript to the relevant trademark.
(2) Detailed Rules
Please follow the rules below when you use a Trademark Symbol.
(a) In paper media, e-books or websites:
For each LAC Trademark, please include the applicable Trademark Symbol where it first appears in the text. If the medium consists of multiple articles, such as magazines or books that compile contributing articles, each article must be accompanied by a Trademark Symbol where each LAC Trademark first appears.
If there is a table of contents, heading or diagram, every use of any LAC Trademark in such table of contents, heading or diagram must be accompanied by the appropriate Trademark Symbol.
(b) On a video:
For each LAC Trademark, please include the appropriate Trademark Symbol in the most prominent place of use.
If you use a LAC Trademark for the purpose described in 2.(1) above, please indicate the ownership of the trademark by following the example below in the appropriate place in the medium used (such as the end of the text in which the LAC Trademark is used, the notes on the pages in which the LAC Trademark is used, or the notes at the beginning or end of the medium).
(In the case of a registered trademark) ●● is a registered trademark of LAC Co., Ltd.
(In the case of an unregistered trademark) ●● is a trademark of LAC Co., Ltd.
In addition, when using a LAC Trademark for the purpose of 2.(2) above, please try to include the indication above as much as possible.
6. Violation of these Guidelines
If you violate these Guidelines and LAC suffers any loss or damage as a result of such violation, you must compensate for such loss or damage.
7. Amendment to these Guidelines
LAC may amend or abolish these Guidelines without prior notice and at LAC's sole discretion. Any amendment or abolition of these Guidelines shall be announced by a posting on LAC's website or other appropriate method.
8. Scope of these Guidelines
These Guidelines apply to LAC's sales partners, customers, licensees and other third parties.
Established on April 7, 2023